Low cost Sap Calculations Ipswich

If you are searching for Sap calculations in East of England or Ipswich, then you definitely have come to the right place. Call us today for a price for your project.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

Sap Calculations, Exactly What Are They

If you are reading this article, you’ve probably been recently asked by somebody, normally your building control official, to provide sap calculations for your building project.

You can click the video recording on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or read on.



Ipswich SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Ipswich SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Ipswich SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP is short for Standard Assessment Procedure and it is the UK government’s way of calculating the energy performance of properties. The calculations are needed to illustrate your building complies with specified energy targets laid down within the building regulations.

In a brief summary, that’s essentially it.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Sap calculations tend to be required for three main reasons
1. For all newly built dwellings
2. For a dwelling change of use, for instance changing a single family home to residential flats.
3. For overglazed extensions

The 2 main areas that the sap calculations will be looking at is that the carbon emissions from the property are within set tolerances and that particular components of the property, for example the floors, walls , windows and roof comply with specified thermal energy targets.

A good set of building plans will need to be given to the Assessor, since all the calculations are done from the building plans . Your Assessor will advise you of precisely what is needed. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate can be produced once the computations are done.

If your sap calculations show that your property is not compliant, your Assessor will give you information on upgrades that may be made to make it so. It’s very important to liaise with the Assessor as early on in your project as possible because when the building is completed any non-compliances could be quite costly to rectify.

If you require guidance on a project you could have in Ipswich , or simply require a quotation, contact us or fill in our get a quote form.


Sap Calculations Queries, Check If We Have An Answer Listed here.

Sap Calculations, Exactly What Are They

This really is probably the most frequent question asked. Check out Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

How Much Do Sap Calculations Cost

If there are multiple properties with similar forms of constructions, then discounts may apply. But typically for a single property the charge would be in the area of £120 – £300. By providing the plans, it will be possible to get a fixed price quotation.

What Is The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, this is what you will need depending on your project.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the computations of pre defined data set of a buildings design that’s created to demonstrate the energy efficiency of a property. EPC stands for Energy Performance Certificate and it’s a summary statement of the SAP calculations in an straightforward report, that can also be used to sell or rent out a property.

There are really two kinds of EPCs. First is a SAP EPC that is created from building plans when all of the components of the building are known. This would normally be required by building control to demonstrate that the property satisfies specified targets essential to the building regulations. Building control would also need to see the SAP calculations which shows in detail whether the many components going into the property comply with the building regulations.

The 2nd variety of EPC is the typical one that will be needed for anybody who is selling, or renting out a property. This kind of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which stands for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, and is used where certain thermal values of, for instance, the walls, roof, floors, etc, usually are not precisely known on an established property. In this situation assumed thermal values are used based on the age of the property. This sort of EPC would be no use to demonstrate compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for an EPC, however what they would really need are the Sap calculations (which is the information behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is actually summary report of the Sap calculations).

Still confused, after that give us a call for further assistance.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These will be the finished set of SAP calculations created once the building has actually been completed to hopefully demonstrate that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Prior to the construction starting, it should have had some “Design Sap” calculations to demonstrate that the planned dwelling, on paper at least, would be compliant with Part L1A.



How To Do Sap Calculations

Unfortunately this is not some thing you can do yourself. Sap calculations need to be carried out by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, by using approved Government software. The Assessor needs to be approved under one of the certification schemes and is also regularly audited to maintain their accreditation.

What Information is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

Every new property need to have Sap calculations to prove compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regulations.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now trendy to get large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large quantities of glazing on new extensions. However with the current building regulations the amount of glazing must be a maximum of 25percent of the floor area of the new extension. Therefore over compensations on the thermal elements in other places within the property will have to be made to demonstrate that the CO2 emissions coming from the existing house along with the planned extension is no worse than the existing house and an extension whose glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You will require SAP calculations to find solutions and demonstrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

For anyone who is altering the use of a building, you will require Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Will I Need to have Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This checklist is not exhaustive. Phone us, if you are not certain if you require them.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully qualified and accredited with years experience carrying Sap calculation in Ipswich . We also cover the whole of the UK and can help on any project nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be allocated a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance up to £100,000 which means you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We aim to provide 100% customer satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice