Sap Calculation Company Northampton

Do you require Sap calculations for either Part L1A, or Part L1B, we’re here to help. Give us a call for a quote on your project.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

Sap Calculations, What are They?

Have building control, or maybe your architect requested that you get sap calculations. But why will you need them and what exactly are sap calculations anyway? Then keep reading.

You can click on the video recording on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or continue reading.



Northampton SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Northampton SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Northampton SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP stands for Standard Assessment Procedure and is the united kingdom government’s procedure for calculating the energy efficiency of buildings. The calculations are required to prove that your building conforms with specified energy targets set down within the building regs.

In a simple overview, that’s essentially it.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

The three main reasons Sap calculations are needed

1. For all new dwellings
2. For a dwelling change of use,e.g altering a commercial building to domestic flats.
3. For extensions that have over 20% glazing

The two main areas which the sap calculations will be looking at is that the carbon emissions from your dwelling are within set t.olerances and that particular elements of the property, for example the floors, roof, windows and walls comply with certain thermal targets.

A good set of construction plans will need to be provided to the Assessor, as all the calculations are done from the building plans ,so there is no need to visit the property. Your Assessor will advise you of precisely what is needed. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is usually produced after the calculations are done.

Your Assessor can provide additional advice if the calculation show that your building isn’t compliant, as well as tell you which would be the best improvements to make. It is crucial that you liaise with the Assessor as early on in the project as possible because when the building is finished any non-compliances could be quite costly to rectify.

If you need advice on a project you may have in or around , or require a quote, give us a call or fill in our get a quote form.


Sap Calculations Questions, See If We Have An Answer Listed here.

Sap Calculations, What are They?

This is certainly quite possibly the most frequent question asked. Take a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

How Much Do Sap Calculations Cost

If there are a number of properties with similar types of constructions, then discounts may apply. But typically for a single dwelling the price will be in the region of £120 – £300. By supplying the plans, you will be able to get yourself a fixed quote.

What’s The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, here is what you will need depending on your project.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a properties design that’s put together to demonstrate the energy efficiency of a property. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is a overview report produced by the Sap calculations that produces a SAP score from 0 to 100. This score is shown on the EPC as A the highest to G the lowest. It will also list suggestions that would improve the rating of your dwelling.

There are really two types of EPCs. First is a SAP EPC that is produced from building plans when all of the elements of the construction are known. This will normally be required by building control to show that a dwelling complies with specified targets essential to the building regulations. Building control would also have to see the SAP calculations which illustrates in detail whether all of the elements going into the property conform to the building regulations.

The 2nd form of EPC is the common one that will be required for anyone who is marketing, or renting a property. This sort of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which is short for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, which is used where specified thermal values of, such as, the walls, roof, floors, etc, are not precisely known on an established property. In this case assumed thermal values are used according to the age of the property. This kind of EPC will be no good to show compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for the EPC, however what they would really need to have are the Sap calculations (which is the information behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is actually summary report from the Sap calculations).

If you are still perplexed, then call us for further assistance.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These will be the finished set of SAP calculations generated after the dwelling has been completed to confirm that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Ahead of the project starting, it should have had some “Design Sap” calculations to show that the proposed dwelling, in theory at least, will be compliant with Part L1A.



Can I Do The Sap Calculation Myself

No, this is not something you could do by yourself. Sap calculations must be carried out by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, by using approved Government computer software. The Assessor must be approved under one of the certification schemes and is also regularly audited to keep their qualification.

What Information is Required For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

Every new dwelling require Sap calculations to show compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now trendy to have large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large amounts of glazing on new extensions. But with the current building regulations the quantity of glazing must be a maximum of 25% of the floor area of the new extension. Therefore over compensations in the thermal elements in other places within the property will need to be made to demonstrate that the CO2 emissions from the current house and the proposed extension is no worse than the existing house and an extension where the glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You will require SAP calculations to find solutions and illustrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

If you are changing the use of a dwelling, you will need Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Do I Need to have Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This checklist is not exhaustive. If you’re not sure whether you will need them, then simply contact us.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully certified and accredited with years experience carrying Sap calculation in Northampton . We also cover the whole of the UK and can help on any project nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be allocated a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 so that you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We aim to provide 100% satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice