Quick Sap Calculations Nuneaton

Low price experienced Sap Assessors. We will provide no cost information for your project. Why not get in touch for your quotation on your project.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

Sap Calculations, Exactly What Are They

If you are reading this article, you’ve more than likely been recently asked by someone, usually your building control official, to provide sap calculations for your building project.

You can either click the video clip on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or read on.



Nuneaton SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Nuneaton SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Nuneaton SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP is short for Standard Assessment Procedure and its the UK government’s means of calculating the energy efficiency of dwellings. The calculations are needed to demonstrate that your building complies with specific energy targets laid down within the building regs.

That’s basically it in a brief summary.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Here are most of the reasons you could be asked for sap computations
1. For extensions that have more than the permitted amount of glazing
2. For all newly build properties
3. For a dwelling change of use, for example a barn conversion

The sap calculations must demonstrate that the dwelling emission rate (DER) and the dwelling fabric energy efficiency (DFEE) comply with certain targets.

A good set of building plans will need to be given to the Assessor, since all the calculations are done from the building plans ,so there is no need to visit the property. Your Assessor will advise you of precisely what is needed. When the calculations are done, an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC can also be created.

If the sap calculations reveal that your property is not compliant, your Assessor will give you guidance on upgrades which can be made to make it so. It may be costly if you find out at a late phase in the construction that your building isn’t compliant. So it’s best to liaise with the Assessor as early on during the project as possible.

If you require guidance on a project you could have in or around Nuneaton , or simply require a quotation, call us or fill in our get a quote form. We’re here to help.


Want an answer to a query you might have about SAP calculations in Nuneaton? Here are the 10 most common questions.

Sap Calculations, Exactly What Are They

This is quite possibly the most common query asked. Take a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

Sap Calculations, How Do They Cost

This may can vary considerably depending upon the size and complexity of the property, but a typical budget will be between £120 – £300. If you also require an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) at the end of it there could be a further charge of about £50 to lodge the EPC on the register. For several dwellings of comparable types, then discount rates might be available.

What’s The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we explain the difference, this is what you will need depending on your project.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the computations of pre defined data set of a properties design that’s put together to demonstrate the energy efficiency of a property. EPC is short for Energy Performance Certificate and it’s a summary statement of the SAP calculations in an simple to grasp document, which can also be used to market or rent a property.

There are actually two kinds of EPCs. The first is a SAP EPC which is produced from building plans where all the components of the construction are known. This would normally be needed by building control to show that a dwelling meets specific targets required by the building regulations. Building control would must also see the SAP calculations which shows in greater detail whether all of the elements going into the property comply with the building regulations.

The second sort of EPC is the common one that will be necessary when you are selling, or renting a property. This type of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which is short for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, and is used where specific thermal values of, for instance, the walls, roof, floors, etc, are not precisely known on an existing property. In this instance assumed thermal values are used depending on the age of the property. This particular EPC will be no good to show compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for an EPC, but what they would really need to have are the Sap calculations (which is the data behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is actually summary report of the Sap calculations).

If you are still confused, after that contact us to get more information.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These are the finished set of SAP calculations produced once the dwelling has been completed to hopefully demonstrate that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Prior to the construction starting, it should have had some “Design Sap” calculations to show that the planned building, on paper at least, will be compliant with Part L1A.



How To Do Sap Calculations

No, this is not something that can be done by yourself. The calculations must be done by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, using approved Government computer software. The Assessor must be certified under one of several certification schemes and is regularly audited to keep their certification.

What Info is Required For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

All new dwelling need Sap calculations to prove compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now popular to get large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large amounts of glazing on new extensions. However under the current building regulations the quantity of glazing can be no more than 25percent of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations in the thermal elements in other areas of the property will need to be made to show that the CO2 emissions coming from the current house along with the planned extension is not any worse than the existing house and an extension whose glazing is within the allowed amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You will need SAP calculations to find solutions and demonstrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

If you are changing the use of a dwelling, you will require Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Will I Need Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This list is not exhaustive. Contact us, if you are not certain if you need them.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully certified and accredited with many years practical experience carrying Sap calculation in Nuneaton . We also cover the whole of the UK and can help on any project nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be allocated a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 and that means you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We aim to provide 100% satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice