0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Oldham

We’ll take the pain out of ensuring that your property will be compliant with building regs.
All at an affordable price. Call us today to get a quotation for your project.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

What Exactly Are Sap Calculations?

Have building control, or even your architect asked you to get sap computations. Why will you need them and just what are sap calculations anyway? Then continue reading.

You can either click the video clip on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or continue reading.



Oldham SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Oldham SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Oldham SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP is short for Standard Assessment Procedure and its the united kingdom government’s method of calculating the energy performance of buildings. The calculations are required to show that your building complies with certain energy targets laid down within the building regulations.

That’s pretty much it in a simple summary.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

The three main reasons Sap calculations are needed

1. For all new dwellings
2. For a dwelling that’s changed its use,such as altering a single family home to residential flats.
3. For overglazed extensions

There are two main targets that the sap calculations are required to demonstrate. Firstly that the dwelling emission rate (DER) and the dwelling fabric energy efficiency (DFEE) comply with certain targets.

Sap computations will be carried out by a professional and accredited On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor. There is not any need to visit the property because all the computations are carried out from the building drawings . When the calculations are completed, an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC can also be created.

Your Assessor can provide you with further advice if the calculation show that your building isn’t compliant, as well as advise you which will be the most effective changes to make. It’s important to liaise with the Assessor as early on in your project as possible because once the building is completed any non-compliances could possibly be quite costly to rectify.

If you need guidance on a project you may have in , or simply require a quotation, contact us or fill in our get a quotation form. We’re here to help.


Questions About Oldham Sap Calculations, see if we have the answer here.

What Exactly Are Sap Calculations?

This is certainly by far the most frequent question asked. Take a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

Sap Calculations, How Do They Cost

If there are multiple properties with similar forms of constructions, then special discounts may apply. For individual properties you would then be looking in the region of £120 – £300 depending upon the complexity of the construction and also the measurements. By providing the plans, it will be possible to get yourself a fixed quotation.

What’s The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, here is what you will require depending on your project.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the computations of pre defined data set of a buildings design that’s created to show the energy performance of a building. EPC is short for Energy Performance Certificate and it’s a summary statement from the SAP calculations in an simple to comprehend report, that can also be used to market or rent a property.

There are really two kinds of EPCs. The first is a SAP EPC that is produced from building plans where all the elements of the construction are known. This will normally be required by building control to show that a property satisfies certain targets essential to the building regulations. Building control would must also see the SAP calculations which illustrates in greater detail whether all of the elements going into your property conform to the building regulations.

The 2nd variety of EPC is the typical one that will be needed when you are selling, or renting a property. This kind of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which is short for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, and is used where specified thermal values of, for example, the walls, roof, floors, etc, usually are not precisely known on an existing property. In this case assumed thermal values are used based on the age of your property. This type of EPC would be no good to show compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for the EPC, but what they would really need are the Sap calculations (which is the data behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is a summary report from the Sap calculations).

If you are still confused, then give us a call for further information.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These will be the final set of SAP calculations created when the building has been completed to hopefully demonstrate that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Prior to the project starting, it ought to have had some “Design Sap” calculations to show that the proposed building, in theory at least, would be compliant with Part L1A.



How To Do Sap Calculations

Unfortunately this is not something that you can do yourself. Sap calculations have to be done by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, working with approved Government computer software. The Assessor has to be certified under one of the certification schemes and is also regularly audited to keep up their accreditation.

What Info is Required For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

All new property need Sap calculations to show compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regulations.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now quite popular to have large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large quantities of glazing on new extensions. But under the current building regulations the amount of glazing must be a maximum of 25percent of the floor area of the new extension. Therefore over compensations in the thermal elements in other areas of the property will need to be made to show the CO2 emissions coming from the current house and the proposed extension is no worse when compared to the existing house and an extension where the glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You will require SAP calculations to find solutions and show compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

For anybody who is modifying the use of a building, you will need Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Do I Need Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This checklist is not exhaustive. Give us a call, if you are not sure if you need them.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully qualified and accredited with years experience carrying Sap calculation in Oldham . We also cover the whole of the UK and can assist on any project nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be allocated a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 and that means you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We seek to provide 100% customer satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice