Redditch Top Sap Assessors

Do you require Sap calculations for either Part L1A, or Part L1B, we’re here to help. Call us for a quote on your job.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

Sap Calculations, Just What Are They

Have building control or perhaps your architect requested you to get sap calculations in Redditch. Why do you need them and what are sap calculations anyway? Then read on.

You can either click on the video clip on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or read on.



Redditch SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Redditch SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Redditch SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP is short for Standard Assessment Procedure and is the united kingdom government’s way of determining the energy efficiency of properties. Sap calculations are required to show that your building complies with certain energy targets set down within the building regulations.

That’s more or less it in a simple summary.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

A few of the reasons you might be asked for sap computations
1. For all newly built properties
2. For a dwelling change of use, for example changing a commercial building to flats
3. For extensions that have more than 25% glazing

There are two main targets that the sap calculations are required to demonstrate. Firstly that the dwelling emission rate (DER) and the dwelling fabric energy efficiency (DFEE) comply with certain targets.

A good set of construction plans will need to be given to the Assessor, since all the calculations are done from the building plans . Your Assessor will advise you of precisely what is needed. After the calculations are completed, an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC can also be produced.

If the sap calculations reveal that your property isn’t compliant, your Assessor will give you guidance on upgrades that may be made to make it so. It may be expensive if you realise at a late phase in the construction that the building is not compliant. So it is advisable to liaise with the Assessor as early on during the project as possible.

If you require advice on a project you could have in Redditch , or require a quotation, give us a call or fill in our get a quote form.


Rather than trawl through a whole website to find the answers you’re looking for, we have supplied answers to the 10 most frequent queries asked about SAP in Redditch.

Sap Calculations, Just What Are They

This is certainly quite possibly the most common question asked. Have a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

How Much Are Sap Calculations

If there are various properties with similar types of constructions, then reductions may apply. But typically for a single dwelling the price would be in the area of £120 – £300. By supplying the plans, it will be possible to get a fixed quotation.

What’s The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we explain the difference, here is what you will need depending on your job.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the computations of pre defined data set of a buildings design that’s created to show the energy performance of a property. EPC stands for Energy Performance Certificate and it’s a summary statement of the SAP calculations in an straightforward document, that can also be used to market or rent a property.

There are actually 2 kinds of EPCs. The first is a SAP EPC which is produced from building plans when all the elements of the construction are known. This will normally be required by building control to demonstrate that the dwelling meets certain targets required by the building regulations. Building control would also need to see the SAP calculations which illustrates in greater detail whether the many elements going into the property comply with the building regulations.

The second form of EPC is the standard one that will be needed when you are marketing, or renting a property. This sort of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which stands for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, and is used where certain thermal values of, such as, the walls, roof, floors, etc, are not precisely known on an established property. In this situation assumed thermal values are used based on the age of the property. This particular EPC would be no use to demonstrate compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for an EPC, but what they would really require are the Sap calculations (which is the information behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is a summary report of the Sap calculations).

If you are still confused, after that contact us to get more assistance.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These will be the final set of SAP calculations produced after the dwelling has been completed to show that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Ahead of the project starting, it should have had some “Design Sap” calculations to demonstrate that the proposed construction, on paper at least, would be compliant with Part L1A.



Can I Do The Sap Calculation Myself

No, this is not some thing that can be done yourself. Sap calculations must be done by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, by using approved Government program. The Assessor needs to be certified under one of several accreditation schemes and is regularly audited to keep up their accreditation.

What Information is Required For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

All new dwelling need to have Sap calculations to prove compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regulations.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now trendy to have large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large quantities of glazing on new extensions. However under the present building regulations the amount of glazing can be no more than 25% of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations in the thermal elements in other parts of the property will have to be made to demonstrate that the CO2 emissions coming from the current house along with the proposed extension is no worse when compared to the existing house and an extension where the glazing is within the allowed amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You will need SAP calculations to find solutions and demonstrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

If you are altering the use of a dwelling, you will require Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Will I Need to have Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This is not an exhaustive list. Phone us, if you are not sure if you require them.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully qualified and accredited with several years experience carrying Sap calculation in Redditch . We also cover the whole of the UK and can assist on any job nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be assigned a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 and that means you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We aim to provide 100% customer satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice