Richmond Sap Calculations

Need to have Sap calculations for either Part L1A, or Part L1B, we’re here to help you. Call us for a quotation for your project.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

Just what Are Sap Calculations?

Have building control, or perhaps your architect asked you to get sap calculations. Why will you need them and just what are sap calculations anyhow? Then read on.

You can either click on the video recording on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or continue reading.



Richmond SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Richmond SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Richmond SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP is short for Standard Assessment Procedure and it is the UK government’s way of calculating the energy efficiency of buildings. The calculations are required to demonstrate that your building complies with specified energy targets laid down within the building regs.

As a brief summary, that’s basically it.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Here are most of the reasons you may well be asked for sap calculations

1. For extensions that have more than the permitted amount of glazing
2. For all newly built dwellings
3. For a dwelling that’s changed its use, for example altering a commercial building to residential flats.

There are two main targets that the sap calculations are required to demonstrate. Firstly that the dwelling emission rate (DER) and the dwelling fabric energy efficiency (DFEE) comply with certain targets.

The calculations are carried out by a certified and approved On Construction Domestic Energy Assessoror OCDEA for short. There is no need to visit the property because all the calculations are carried out from the building plans ,so a good set of plans are very important. After the calculations are completed, an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC can also be created.

If the sap calculations show that your property isn’t compliant, then your Assessor will give you information on upgrades that can be made to make it so. It is essential to liaise with the Assessor as early on in the project as possible because once the building is completed any non-compliances could possibly be quite costly to rectify.

Should you require guidance on a project you may have in , or simply require a quotation, call us or fill in our get a quotation form.


Rather than trawl through a entire website to get the answers you’re looking for, we have supplied answers to the ten most frequent questions asked about SAP in Richmond.

Just what Are Sap Calculations?

This is certainly by far the most common question asked. Take a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

Sap Calculations, How Do They Cost

We will be pleased to offer you discount rates, especially for multiple dwellings that are of the same or very similar construction. But typically for a single property the price will be in the area of £120 – £300. By supplying the plans, it will be possible to get yourself a fixed quotation.

What’s The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, here is what you will need depending on your project.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a buildings design that’s put together to display the energy effectiveness of a property. EPC is short for Energy Performance Certificate and it’s a summary report of the SAP calculations in an simple to grasp report, that could also be used to market or rent out a property.

There are actually 2 types of EPCs. The first is a SAP EPC that is produced from building plans when all the components of the construction are known. This would normally be needed by building control to show that a property meets specified targets essential to the building regulations. Building control would also need to see the SAP calculations which illustrates in detail whether the many components going into the property comply with the building regulations.

The 2nd form of EPC is the common one that would be necessary for anyone who is marketing, or renting out a property. This type of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which is short for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, and is used where specified thermal values of, for example, the walls, roof, floors, etc, are not precisely known on an established property. In this situation assumed thermal values are used according to the age of the property. This kind of EPC will be no use to show compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for an EPC, however what they would really need are the Sap calculations (which is the data behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is actually summary report of the Sap calculations).

Still perplexed, after that contact us for further assistance.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These will be the final set of SAP calculations produced when the dwelling has actually been completed to hopefully demonstrate that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Prior to the project starting, it should have had a set of “Design Sap” calculations to show that the planned construction, on paper at least, will be compliant with Part L1A.



How To Do Sap Calculations

No, this is not something that can be done by yourself. The calculations have to be done by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, using approved Government software programs. The Assessor must be approved under one of several accreditation schemes and is regularly audited to maintain their qualification.

What Information is Required For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

All new property need to have Sap calculations to prove compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now trendy to get large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large amounts of glazing on new extensions. But under the existing building regulations the quantity of glazing must be a maximum of 25% of the floor area of the new extension. Therefore over compensations in the thermal elements in other areas within the property will have to be made to show the CO2 emissions coming from the current house and the planned extension is no worse when compared to the existing house and an extension where the glazing is within the allowed amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You will require SAP calculations to find solutions and illustrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

When you are altering the use of a dwelling, you will require Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Do I Need Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This is not an exhaustive list. If you’re not sure whether you need them, then give us a call.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully qualified and accredited with several years practical experience carrying Sap calculation in Richmond . We also cover the whole of the UK and can assist on any project nationwide.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be allocated a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance up to £100,000 and that means you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We aim to provide 100% customer satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice