Sap Calculation Service Rugby

Need to have Sap calculations for either Part L1A, or Part L1B, we’re here to help. Call us today for a quotation on your job.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

So, Exactly What Are Sap Calculations

For anyone who is reading this, you have probably recently been asked by someone, normally your building control representative, to provide sap calculations for your building project.

You can click the video on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or continue reading.



Rugby SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Rugby SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Rugby SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP stands for Standard Assessment Procedure and is the UK government’s means of calculating the energy efficiency of properties. The calculations are required to show your building complies with specific energy targets laid down in the building regulations.

That’s more or less it in a brief summary.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Some of the reasons you will be asked for sap calculations
1. For extensions that have more than 25% glazing
2. For all newly build properties
3. For a dwelling change of use, for example a barn conversion

The two main areas that the sap calculations will look at is that the carbon emissions from the dwelling are within set tolerances and that particular components of the property, such as the floors, walls , roof, and windows comply with certain thermal targets.

The calculations will be done by a qualified and certified On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor. There is no need to visit the property as all of the calculations are carried out from the building plans ,so a good set of plans are required. Once the calculations are completed, an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC can also be produced.

If the sap calculations reveal that your property isn’t compliant, the Assessor will give you advice on improvements that may be made to make it so. It could be costly if you realise at a late phase in the construction that the building isn’t compliant. So it’s best to liaise with the Assessor as early on in the project as possible.

Should you need guidance on a project you may have in Rugby , or require a quotation, contact us or fill in our get a quotation form.


Rather than trawl through a entire website to obtain the explanations you’re looking for, we’ve supplied explanations to the 10 most typical queries asked about SAP in Rugby.

So, Exactly What Are Sap Calculations

This really is by far the most frequent query asked. Take a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

How Much Do Sap Calculations Cost

We will be pleased to provide discount rates, in particular for properties which are of the same or similar design. For single dwellings you would then be looking in the range of £120 – £300 dependant upon the difficulty of your construction and also the size. By supplying the plans, it will be possible to get yourself a fixed quotation.

What Is The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, here is what you will require depending on your job.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a properties design that’s created to demonstrate the energy efficiency of a property. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is a summary report produced by the Sap calculations which produces a SAP rating from 0 to 100. This rating is expressed on the EPC as A the highest to G the lowest. It will also list suggestions that would improve the rating of your dwelling.

There are really two kinds of EPCs. First is a SAP EPC which is produced from building plans where all of the components of the construction are known. This will normally be needed by building control to demonstrate that the dwelling complies with specific targets required by the building regulations. Building control would also have to see the SAP calculations which illustrates in greater detail whether all of the elements going into your property comply with the building regulations.

The second form of EPC is the standard one that would be needed for anybody who is selling, or renting a property. This particular EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which means Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, and is used where specific thermal values of, for example, the walls, roof, floors, etc, usually are not precisely known on an existing property. In this situation assumed thermal values are used based on the age of your property. This particular EPC will be no use to demonstrate compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for the EPC, however what they would really require are the Sap calculations (which is the data behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is actually summary report of the Sap calculations).

If you are still perplexed, after that phone us for further information.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These are the final set of SAP calculations produced once the building has actually been completed to hopefully demonstrate that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Prior to the construction starting, it ought to have had some “Design Sap” calculations to demonstrate that the planned dwelling, in theory at least, will be compliant with Part L1A.



Can I Do The Sap Calculation Myself

Unfortunately this is not some thing that can be done by yourself. The calculations have to be carried out by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, by using approved Government computer software. The Assessor must be approved under one of the certification schemes and is also regularly audited to maintain their certification.

What Info is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

Every new dwelling need Sap calculations to prove compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regulations.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now quite modern to have large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large amounts of glazing on new extensions. But under the present building regulations the amount of glazing must be a maximum of 25percent of the floor area of the new extension. Therefore over compensations in the thermal elements in other parts of the property will need to be made to show the CO2 emissions from the current house along with the planned extension is no worse than the existing house and an extension where the glazing is within the allowed amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You will need SAP calculations to find solutions and demonstrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

When you are altering the use of a building, you will need Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Do I Need Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This is not an exhaustive list. If you’re not sure whether you need them, then simply contact us.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully qualified and accredited with several years practical experience carrying Sap calculation in Rugby . We also cover the whole of the UK and can assist on any job nationwide.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be assigned a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 so you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We seek to provide 100% customer satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice