Sap Calculations Salford

We undertake most sizes of residential assignments wanting SAP calculations. All at the best prices. Call us for a quote for your project.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

So, What Exactly Are Sap Calculations?

If you are reading this, you have more than likely been recently requested by somebody, normally your building control official, to provide sap calculations for your building project. But you probably haven’t been told what sap calculation actually are and why you need them.

You can either click on the video recording on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or continue reading.



Salford SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Salford SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Salford SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP stands for Standard Assessment Procedure and its the UK government’s method of calculating the energy efficiency of dwellings. Sap calculations are needed to prove that a building conforms with specified energy targets laid down within the building regulations.

As a short overview, that’s pretty much it.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Sap calculations usually are required for three main reasons

1. For all newly built homes
2. For a dwelling that’s changed its use, such as altering a commercial building to residential flats.
3. For a planned extension having in excess of 25 % glazing

There are two main targets that the sap calculations are required to demonstrate. Firstly that the dwelling emission rate (DER) and the dwelling fabric energy efficiency (DFEE) comply with certain targets.

A good set of construction drawings must be provided to the Assessor, because all the calculations are done from the building drawings . Your Assessor will advise you of precisely what is needed. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is usually produced once the calculations are finished.

If the sap calculations show that your property is not compliant, your Assessor will give you information on improvements that can be made to make it so. It’s crucial that you liaise with the Assessor as early on in the project as possible because once the building is completed any non-compliances might be quite costly to rectify.

Should you need advice on a project you may have in , or require a quotation, contact us or fill in our get a quote form.


SAP Calculations in Salford The 10 Most Common Queries Asked.

So, What Exactly Are Sap Calculations?

This is certainly by far the most frequent query asked. Take a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

Sap Calculations, How Much Are They

The average budget range is between £100 – £300, this can be depending on the complexity and proportions of your property. There will probably be another charge of around £50 if an EPC is needed at the end of the construction. Reductions would typically be available for multiple dwellings especially if they are of the same type of design.

What’s The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, this is what you will require depending on your project.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a properties design that’s put together to demonstrate the energy effectiveness of a dwelling. EPC means Energy Performance Certificate and it’s a summary report from the SAP calculations in an simple to grasp report, that can also be used to sell or rent a property.

There are really two kinds of EPCs. The first is a SAP EPC that is created from building plans when all of the elements of the construction are known. This will normally be required by building control to show that a dwelling meets specified targets required by the building regulations. Building control would also need to see the SAP calculations which illustrates in greater detail whether the many elements going into your property conform to the building regulations.

The 2nd form of EPC is the regular one that will be required if you are selling, or renting out a property. This sort of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which means Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, which is used where specified thermal values of, such as, the walls, roof, floors, etc, usually are not precisely known on an existing property. In this case assumed thermal values are used according to the age of your property. This sort of EPC would be no good to show compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you to get an EPC, but what they would really need to have are the Sap calculations (which is the data behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is actually summary report from the Sap calculations).

Still perplexed, then give us a call for further assistance.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These will be the finished set of SAP calculations produced once the dwelling has been completed to confirm that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Prior to the building starting, it should have had a set of “Design Sap” calculations to show that the proposed dwelling, on paper at least, would be compliant with Part L1A.



Can I Do The Sap Calculation Myself

Unfortunately this is not some thing that can be done yourself. The calculations must be carried out by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, working with approved Government program. The Assessor must be approved under one of several accreditation schemes and is regularly audited to maintain their certification.

What Info is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

All new dwelling require Sap calculations to show compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regulations.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now quite fashionable to get large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large amounts of glazing on new extensions. But with the present building regulations the quantity of glazing must be no more than 25percent of the floor area of the new extension. Therefore over compensations on the thermal elements in other places of the property will need to be made to show the CO2 emissions from the existing house and the proposed extension is not any worse than the existing house and an extension where the glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You will require SAP calculations to find solutions and illustrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

When you are changing the use of a dwelling, you will need Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Will I Need Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This is not an exhaustive list. If you’re unsure whether you require them, then simply contact us.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully qualified and accredited with years experience carrying Sap calculation in Salford . We also cover the whole of the UK and can assist on any project nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be assigned a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 so that you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We seek to provide 100% customer satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice