Sap Assessors Southend-on-Sea

If you are looking for Sap calculations in East of England or Southend-on-Sea, then you have come to the right place. E mail us for a price on your job.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

What Exactly Are Sap Calculations?

Have building control, or even your architect requested you to get sap calculations. Why do you need them and exactly what are sap calculations anyway? Then keep reading.

You can click on the video clip on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or continue reading.



Southend-on-Sea SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Southend-on-Sea SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Southend-on-Sea SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP is short for Standard Assessment Procedure and is the UK government’s way of determining the energy performance of buildings. These calculations are needed to prove that your building complies with certain energy targets set down within the building regs.

That’s more or less it in a brief summary.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Some of the reasons you may be asked for sap calculations
1. For extensions that have more than the permitted amount of glazing
2. For all newly built properties
3. For a dwelling change of use, for example a barn conversion

The two main areas that the sap calculations will look at is that the carbon emissions from your property are within set tolerances and that particular elements of the property, for example the floors, windows , roof and walls comply with specified thermal targets.

The calculations will be done by a certified and approved On Construction Domestic Energy Assessoror OCDEA for short. There is not any need to visit the property as all of the calculations are carried out from the building plans . Once the calculations are completed, an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC can also be produced.

Your Assessor can provide further guidance if the calculations show that your building isn’t compliant, as well as let you know which will be the best improvements to make. It can be expensive if you realise at a late phase in the construction that the building is not compliant. So it is best to liaise with your Assessor as early on during the project as possible.

If you require guidance on a project you may have in or around Southend-on-Sea , or require a quote, give us a call or fill in our get a quotation form. We’re here to help.


Questions Regarding Southend-on-Sea Sap Calculations, see if we have the answer here.

What Exactly Are Sap Calculations?

This is quite possibly the most frequent question asked. Have a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

How Much Do Sap Calculations Cost

This may can vary considerably depending on the measurements and complication of the property, but a typical price range will be between £120 – £300. For those who also need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) at the end of it there will probably be a further charge of about £50 to lodge the EPC on the epc register. Reductions would typically be available for a number of dwellings especially if they are of the same form of design.

What’s The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we explain the difference, this is what you will need depending on your job.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a buildings design that’s created to display the energy efficiency of a building. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is a summary report produced by the Sap calculations that produces a SAP score from 0 to 100. This score is shown on the EPC as A the highest to G the lowest. It will also list recommendations which would increase the rating of the property.

There are actually two types of EPCs. The first is a SAP EPC which is created from building plans where all of the elements of the building are known. This will normally be required by building control to demonstrate that the dwelling meets certain targets essential to the building regulations. Building control would must also see the SAP calculations which illustrates in greater detail whether all the elements going into your property comply with the building regulations.

The second type of EPC is the standard one that would be necessary for anyone who is selling, or renting out a property. This particular EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which is short for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, which is used where specified thermal values of, for example, the walls, roof, floors, etc, are not precisely known on an established property. In this case assumed thermal values are used according to the age of your property. This type of EPC will be no use to demonstrate compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you to get an EPC, but what they would really require are the Sap calculations (which is the information behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is a summary report from the Sap calculations).

If you are still perplexed, then contact us to get more advice.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These will be the finished set of SAP calculations produced once the building has actually been completed to confirm that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Ahead of the project starting, it ought to have had some “Design Sap” calculations to demonstrate that the proposed dwelling, on paper at least, will be compliant with Part L1A.



Can I Do The Sap Calculation Myself

No, this is not some thing that can be done yourself. The calculations need to be carried out by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, by using approved Government program. The Assessor must be approved under one of several certification schemes and is also regularly audited to keep their accreditation.

What Info is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

All new dwelling require Sap calculations to show compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now fashionable to get large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large quantities of glazing on new extensions. However with the present building regulations the amount of glazing must be no more than 25percent of the floor area of the new extension. Therefore over compensations on the thermal elements in other areas of the property will have to be made to show that the CO2 emissions from the current house along with the proposed extension is not any worse when compared to the existing house and an extension where the glazing is within the allowed amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You will require SAP calculations to find solutions and illustrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

If you are altering the use of a building, you will need Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Do I Need to have Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This is not an exhaustive checklist. If you’re not sure whether you need them, then simply give us a call.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully qualified and accredited with several years experience carrying Sap calculation in Southend-on-Sea . We also cover the whole of the UK and can assist on any job nationwide.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be allocated a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 so you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We seek to provide 100% customer satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice