0800 046 7345 [email protected]

Sap Calculations Southport

Fast, dependable and above all affordable Sap calculations for local residents and businesses. Contact us for a quotation for your project.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

So, What Are Sap Calculations

Have building control or perhaps your architect requested you to get sap calculations in Southport. But why will you need them and what exactly are sap calculations anyway? Then read on.

You can click the video on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or continue reading.



Southport SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Southport SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Southport SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP stands for Standard Assessment Procedure and it is the united kingdom government’s means of determining the energy efficiency of properties. Sap calculations are necessary to prove your building conforms with specific energy targets laid down in the building regs.

That’s more or less it in a simple summary.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Sap calculations usually are required for three main reasons

1. For all new homes
2. For a dwelling change of use, e.g altering a single family home to residential flats.
3. For extensions that have over 20% glazing

The sap calculations must establish that the dwelling emission rate (DER) and the dwelling fabric energy efficiency (DFEE) comply with specific targets.

A good set of construction drawings will need to be provided to the Assessor, since all the calculations are done from the building drawings . Your Assessor will advise you of precisely what is needed. After the calculations are completed, an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC can also be produced.

Your Assessor can provide you with further guidance in the event the calculation show that your dwelling isn’t compliant, as well as inform you which would be the best changes to make. It’s very important to liaise with your Assessor as early on in the project as possible because once the building is completed any non-compliances could possibly be quite costly to rectify.

Should you need advice on a project you could have in , or require a quotation, give us a call or fill in our get a quote form.


Rather than trawl through a whole website to get the answers you’re looking for, we’ve given answers to the 10 most frequent queries asked about SAP in Southport.

So, What Are Sap Calculations

This is quite possibly the most common query asked. Have a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

What Is The Cost Of Sap Calculations

We would be pleased to offer you discounts, for example for properties that are of the same or similar design. For single properties then you would be looking in the range of £120 – £300 depending on the difficulty of the construction and the dimensions. By supplying the plans, it will be possible to get a fixed price quotation.

What Is The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, this is what you will require depending on your project.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a buildings design that’s created to display the energy performance of a property. EPC stands for Energy Performance Certificate and it’s a summary report of the SAP calculations in an simple to comprehend report, that can also be used to market or rent out a property.

There are actually two kinds of EPCs. First is a SAP EPC which is produced from building plans where all the components of the building are known. This will normally be required by building control to show that the property meets specific targets essential to the building regulations. Building control would also need to see the SAP calculations which shows in greater detail whether all of the components going into your property comply with the building regulations.

The 2nd type of EPC is the typical one that would be needed for anyone who is selling, or renting out a property. This particular EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which stands for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, and is used where specified thermal values of, for example, the walls, roof, floors, etc, usually are not precisely known on an existing property. In this case assumed thermal values are used depending on the age of your property. This kind of EPC would be no use to show compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you to get an EPC, but what they would really need are the Sap calculations (which is the data behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is actually summary report of the Sap calculations).

If you are still confused, after that call us for additional information.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These will be the final set of SAP calculations created once the building has been completed to show that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Ahead of the construction starting, it ought to have had a set of “Design Sap” calculations to show that the proposed building, on paper at least, would be compliant with Part L1A.



How To Do Sap Calculations

Unfortunately this is not something that you can do yourself. Sap calculations need to be done by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, using approved Government software. The Assessor must be approved under one of several certification schemes and is also regularly audited to keep up their qualification.

What Info is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

Every new property need to have Sap calculations to demonstrate compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now quite popular to get large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large quantities of glazing on new extensions. However under the present building regulations the amount of glazing can be a maximum of 25% of the floor area of the new extension. Therefore over compensations on the thermal elements in other areas within the property will have to be made to show that the CO2 emissions from the current house and the proposed extension is not any worse when compared to the existing house and an extension where the glazing is within the allowed amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You should have SAP calculations to find solutions and illustrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

If you are changing the use of a building, you will require Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Will I Need to have Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This list is not exhaustive. If you’re unsure whether you need them, then simply give us a call.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully qualified and accredited with many years practical experience carrying Sap calculation in Southport . We also cover the whole of the UK and can help on any project nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be assigned a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 so you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We seek to provide 100% customer satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice