Sap Calculations St Helens

We will take the hassle out of ensuring your dwelling is compliant with the building regulations.
All this at a reasonable cost. Contact us for a quotation for your job.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

Sap Calculations, What Exactly Are They

Have building control or perhaps your architect requested you to get sap calculations in St Helens. But why do you need them and exactly what are sap calculations anyway? Then continue reading.

You can either click the video clip on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or continue reading.



St Helens SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

St Helens SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

St Helens SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP is short for Standard Assessment Procedure and is the united kingdom government’s way of calculating the energy performance of properties. Sap calculations are needed to prove your building complies with certain energy targets laid down within the building regulations.

That’s more or less it in a simple summary.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Sap calculations usually are required for three main reasons

1. For all newly built homes
2. For a dwelling that’s changed its use, for example converting a commercial building to residential flats.
3. For extensions that have over 20% glazing

The sap calculations are necessary to demonstrate that the dwelling emission rate (DER) and the dwelling fabric energy efficiency (DFEE) comply with specific targets.

A good set of construction plans must be given to the Assessor, because all the calculations are done from the building plans ,so there is no need to visit the property. Your Assessor will advise you of precisely what is needed. Once the calculations are finished, an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC can also be produced.

If the sap calculations show that your property is not compliant, then Assessor will give you recommendations on improvements that can be made to make it so. It may be expensive if you realise at a late phase in the construction that the building isn’t compliant. So it’s best to liaise with the Assessor as early on during the project as possible, ideally before any building commences.

If you need guidance on a project you could have in or around , or simply require a quotation, call us or fill in our get a quotation form.


SAP Calculations in St Helens The 10 Most Frequent Questions Asked.

Sap Calculations, What Exactly Are They

This is certainly quite possibly the most common query asked. Take a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

Sap Calculations, How Much Are They

The average cost range will be between £100 – £300, that is depending upon the difficulty and size of the property. There will probably be a further charge of approximately £50 if an Energy Performance Certificate is needed at the end of the build. For multiple properties of similar types, then discount rates might be offered.

What Is The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, here is what you will require depending on your job.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a properties design that’s created to demonstrate the energy effectiveness of a dwelling. EPC means Energy Performance Certificate and it’s a summary statement of the SAP calculations in an easy to understand document, which could also be used to sell or rent a property.

There are actually 2 kinds of EPCs. The first is a SAP EPC that is produced from building plans when all the elements of the building are known. This would normally be needed by building control to demonstrate that a dwelling complies with certain targets essential to the building regulations. Building control would also need to see the SAP calculations which illustrates in greater detail whether all of the elements going into the property comply with the building regulations.

The 2nd type of EPC is the standard one that would be necessary if you are selling, or renting a property. This sort of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which means Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, which is used where particular thermal values of, for instance, the walls, roof, floors, etc, usually are not precisely known on an existing property. In this instance assumed thermal values are used based on the age of the property. This sort of EPC will be no good to demonstrate compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for the EPC, but what they would really need are the Sap calculations (which is the data behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is a summary report of the Sap calculations).

Still confused, after that contact us for additional information.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These will be the final set of SAP calculations generated after the dwelling has actually been completed to show that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Prior to the construction starting, it should have had a set of “Design Sap” calculations to demonstrate that the planned construction, in theory at least, will be compliant with Part L1A.



How To Do Sap Calculations

No, this is not something you can do by yourself. The calculations have to be carried out by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, by using approved Government program. The Assessor needs to be certified under one of the certification schemes and is regularly audited to maintain their accreditation.

What Information is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

Every new dwelling need to have Sap calculations to demonstrate compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regulations.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now modern to get large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large amounts of glazing on new extensions. However with the existing building regulations the amount of glazing can be no more than 25% of the floor area of the new extension. Therefore over compensations in the thermal elements in other areas within the property will need to be made to show that the CO2 emissions from the existing house along with the planned extension is no worse when compared to the existing house and an extension where the glazing is within the allowed amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You will require SAP calculations to find solutions and demonstrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

If you are altering the use of a dwelling, you will require Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Will I Need Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This list is not exhaustive. Call us, if you are not certain if you require them.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully certified and accredited with several years experience carrying Sap calculation in St Helens . We also cover the whole of the UK and can help on any job nationwide.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be assigned a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 so you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We aim to provide 100% satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice