Sap Calculations Stockport

Need Sap calculations for either Part L1A, or Part L1B, we are here to help you. Get in touch for a quote for your job.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

Sap Calculations, Exactly What Are They?

Have building control or perhaps your architect asked you to get sap calculations in Stockport. But why will you need them and precisely what are sap calculations anyway? Then continue reading.

You can click on the video recording on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or continue reading.



Stockport SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Stockport SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Stockport SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP stands for Standard Assessment Procedure and is the united kingdom government’s method of calculating the energy performance of dwellings. The calculations are needed to illustrate that a building conforms with certain energy targets set down within the building regulations.

As a quick overview, that’s essentially it.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

The 3 main reasons Sap calculations are needed

1. For all newly built homes
2. For a dwelling change of use,such as altering a commercial building to residential flats.
3. For extensions that have more than the permitted amount of glazing

The two main areas that the sap calculations will look at is that the carbon emissions from your dwelling are within set tolerances and that certain elements of the property, for example the walls, floors, roof and windows comply with certain thermal targets.

Sap calculations will be done by a certified and approved On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor. There is no need to visit the property as all the calculations are carried out from the building drawings . Once the calculations are finished, an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC can also be created.

Your Assessor can provide you with additional advice in the event the calculations show your building isn’t compliant, as well as explain to you which is the most effective changes to make. It might be costly if you realise at a late phase in the construction that the building isn’t compliant. So it is advisable to liaise with the Assessor as early on in the project as possible.

Should you need advice on a project you could have in or around , or simply require a quotation, give us a call or fill in our get a quote form. We’re here to help.


Here we have provided the most common questions asked about SAP Calculations in Stockport.

Sap Calculations, Exactly What Are They?

This is certainly by far the most common question asked. Take a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

How Much Do Sap Calculations Cost

The typical price range will be between £100 – £300, this is depending upon the complexity and proportions of the property. There may be an additional fee of about £50 if an Energy Performance Certificate is needed at the end of the build. For a number of properties of comparable designs, then special discounts might be available.

What’s The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we explain the difference, here is what you will need depending on your job.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a buildings design that’s created to show the energy efficiency of a property. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is a overview report created from the Sap calculations that produces a SAP rating from 0 to 100. This rating is shown on the Energy Performance Certificate as A the highest to G the lowest. It will also list suggestions which would improve the rating of the dwelling.

There are really 2 types of EPCs. The first is a SAP EPC that is produced from building plans when all the elements of the building are known. This would normally be required by building control to demonstrate that a dwelling satisfies certain targets required by the building regulations. Building control would also need to see the SAP calculations which illustrates in detail whether the many elements going into the property comply with the building regulations.

The second type of EPC is the standard one that would be needed when you are selling, or renting a property. This type of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which means Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, and is used where certain thermal values of, such as, the walls, roof, floors, etc, are not precisely known on an established property. In this case assumed thermal values are used according to the age of the property. This kind of EPC would be no good to demonstrate compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for an EPC, but what they would really need are the Sap calculations (which is the information behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is a summary report from the Sap calculations).

If you are still perplexed, after that call us for further information.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These will be the final set of SAP calculations generated after the building has actually been completed to confirm that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Prior to the building starting, it should have had some “Design Sap” calculations to demonstrate that the proposed building, in theory at least, would be compliant with Part L1A.



Can I Do The Sap Calculation Myself

Unfortunately this is not something you can do by yourself. Sap calculations need to be carried out by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, working with approved Government software programs. The Assessor has to be approved under one of several certification schemes and is regularly audited to maintain their accreditation.

What Info is Required For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

All new dwelling require Sap calculations to prove compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regulations.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now quite modern to get large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large quantities of glazing on new extensions. However with the current building regulations the quantity of glazing must be a maximum of 25% of the floor area of the new extension. Therefore over compensations on the thermal elements in other parts within the property will need to be made to show that the CO2 emissions coming from the existing house along with the proposed extension is not any worse than the existing house and an extension where the glazing is within the allowed amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You will require SAP calculations to find solutions and illustrate compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

When you are modifying the use of a building, you will need Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Do I Need to have Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This list is not exhaustive. If you’re not certain whether you require them, then simply phone us.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully certified and accredited with many years practical experience carrying Sap calculation in Stockport . We also cover the whole of the UK and can assist on any job nationwide.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be assigned a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance up to £100,000 so you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We aim to provide 100% satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice