Sap Calculation Services Stoke

Sap calculations for new builds, dwelling change of use, or overglazed extensions that have more than 25% glazing. All at an affordable price. E mail us to get a quote on your project.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

Sap Calculations, What Exactly Are They?

For anyone who is reading this article, you have probably been asked by somebody, usually your building control officer, to supply sap calculations for your building project.

You can click on the video clip on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or continue reading.



Stoke SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Stoke SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Stoke SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP stands for Standard Assessment Procedure and it is the UK government’s procedure for determining the energy efficiency of buildings. These calculations are required to prove that a building complies with specific energy targets laid down within the building regs.

That’s pretty much it in a brief overview.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

A few of the reasons you might be asked for sap calculations
1. For extensions that have more than 25% glazing
2. For all newly build properties
3. For a dwelling change of use, for example a barn conversion

There are two main targets that the sap calculations are required to demonstrate. Firstly that the dwelling emission rate (DER) and the dwelling fabric energy efficiency (DFEE) comply with certain targets.

Sap calculations will be carried out by a qualified and approved On Construction Domestic Energy Assessoror OCDEA for short. There is not any need to visit the property because all of the calculations are carried out from the building plans ,so a good set of plans are very important. Once the calculations are completed, an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC can also be produced.

If the sap calculations reveal that your property is not compliant, the Assessor will give you suggestions about upgrades that may be made to make it so. It may be expensive if you find out at a late stage in the construction that the building is not compliant. So it is wise to liaise with your Assessor as early on in the project as possible, ideally before any building commences.

If you require advice on a project you could have in or around Stoke , or require a quotation, call us or fill in our get a quote form. We’re here to help.


Need an answer to a question you have about SAP calculations in Stoke? Here are the ten most frequent questions.

Sap Calculations, What Exactly Are They?

This is by far the most common query asked. Take a look at Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

How Much Do Sap Calculations Cost

We will be pleased to provide discount rates, especially for properties which are of the same or similar construction. For single dwellings you would then be looking in the region of £120 – £300 dependant upon the intricacy of your building and the size. By supplying the plans, it will be possible to get a fixed quotation.

What Is The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, this is what you will need depending on your project.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the calculations of pre defined data set of a buildings design that’s created to demonstrate the energy performance of a dwelling. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate is a overview report derived from the Sap calculations which produces a SAP score from 0 to 100. This score is shown on the Energy Performance Certificate as A the highest to G the lowest. It will also list recommendations which would enhance the rating of your property.

There are really 2 kinds of EPCs. First is a SAP EPC which is produced from building plans when all of the components of the construction are known. This would normally be required by building control to show that a property complies with specific targets essential to the building regulations. Building control would must also see the SAP calculations which illustrates in detail whether all the components going into the property comply with the building regulations.

The second type of EPC is the typical one that would be needed if you are marketing, or renting a property. This kind of EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which stands for Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, and is used where specified thermal values of, such as, the walls, roof, floors, etc, usually are not precisely known on an established property. In this situation assumed thermal values are used depending on the age of the property. This sort of EPC would be no good to show compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you for the EPC, however what they would really need to have are the Sap calculations (which is the information behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is actually summary report from the Sap calculations).

Still confused, after that contact us to get more assistance.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These are the final set of SAP calculations produced after the building has actually been completed to hopefully demonstrate that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Ahead of the construction starting, it ought to have had a set of “Design Sap” calculations to show that the planned construction, in theory at least, would be compliant with Part L1A.



How To Do Sap Calculations

Unfortunately this is not some thing that you can do by yourself. Sap calculations must be carried out by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, using approved Government program. The Assessor must be approved under one of the accreditation schemes and is also regularly audited to maintain their accreditation.

What Information is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

All new property require Sap calculations to show compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regs.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now fashionable to get large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large quantities of glazing on new extensions. But with the current building regulations the amount of glazing must be a maximum of 25percent of the floor area of the new extension. Therefore over compensations on the thermal elements in other areas of the property will have to be made to show that the CO2 emissions from the current house along with the planned extension is no worse than the existing house and an extension where the glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You will need SAP calculations to find solutions and show compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

If you are altering the use of a building, you will require Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Will I Need to have Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This checklist is not exhaustive. If you’re not sure whether you will need them, then simply contact us.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully qualified and accredited with years practical experience carrying Sap calculation in Stoke . We also cover the whole of the UK and can assist on any project nationally.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be allocated a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 and that means you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We seek to provide 100% customer satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice