Tamworth Sap Calculation Company

Sap computations for new builds, dwelling change of use, or overglazed extensions. All at a reasonable cost. Give us a call for your estimate on your job.

Get QuoteCLICK TO CALL FREE: 0800 046 7345
Air tightness testing
Water calculations

Exactly What Are Sap Calculations

Have building control or perhaps your architect asked you to get sap calculations in Tamworth. Why do you need them and precisely what are sap calculations anyway? Then read on.

You can either click on the video on this page, where Andreas will shed some light on this, or continue reading.



Tamworth SAP Calcs For Dwelling Change Of Use

  • Reports for Part L1B Compliance
  • Free Advice

Tamworth SAP Calcs For Overglazed Extensions

  • Carbon Emissions Reports
  • Heat Loss Calculations
  • Free Advice

Tamworth SAP Calcs For New Builds

  • Reports for Part L1A compliance
  • Free Advice

What does SAP mean?

SAP stands for Standard Assessment Procedure and it is the UK government’s way of determining the energy performance of dwellings. The calculations are required to demonstrate that your building conforms with specified energy targets laid down in the building regulations.

As a simple overview, that’s pretty much it.


When Are SAP Calculations Needed?

Sap calculations usually are required for three main reasons

1. For all new dwellings
2. For a dwelling that’s changed its use, for example converting a commercial building to residential flats.
3. For a planned extension having in excess of 25 % glazing

The two main areas that the sap calculations will be looking at is that the carbon emissions from your property are within set tolerances and that particular components of the property, for example the walls, windows, floors and roof comply with certain thermal energy targets.

A good set of building drawings will need to be given to the Assessor, as all the calculations are done from the building drawings ,so there is no need to visit the property. Your Assessor will advise you of precisely what is needed. An EPC or Energy Performance Certificate can be produced after the computations are done.

Your Assessor can provide further advice in the event the calculations show that your dwelling isn’t compliant, as well as let you know which would be the best changes to make. It can be costly if you find out at a late stage in the construction that the building is not compliant. So it is best to liaise with the Assessor as early on during the project as possible, ideally before any building commences.

If you require advice on a project you may have in , or require a quotation, give us a call or fill in our get a quotation form. We’re here to help.


Here we have provided the most frequent questions asked about SAP Calculations in Tamworth.

Exactly What Are Sap Calculations

This really is by far the most common question asked. Check out Andrea’s video explanation above, or read the full explanation here on the right.

Sap Calculations, How Do They Cost

If there are several properties with similar types of constructions, then special discounts may apply. But typically for a single dwelling the charge would be in the area of £120 – £300. By providing the plans, you will be able to get yourself a fixed quotation.

What’s The Difference Between Sap and EPC

Before we get to the differences, here is what you will need depending on your job.

For a new build property you’ll need – SAP calculations and an EPC.

For dwelling change of use or conversion you’ll need – Sap Calculations and an EPC.

For overglazing on an existing dwelling you’ll – Sap calculations only.

SAP or Standard Assessment Procedure are the computations of pre defined data set of a buildings design that’s put together to demonstrate the energy efficiency of a building. EPC means Energy Performance Certificate and it’s a summary report of the SAP calculations in an easy to understand document, that can also be used to sell or rent a property.

There are really two types of EPCs. The first is a SAP EPC which is created from building plans when all the components of the construction are known. This will normally be needed by building control to demonstrate that a dwelling satisfies specified targets essential to the building regulations. Building control would must also see the SAP calculations which shows in detail whether the many components going into your property comply with the building regulations.

The second form of EPC is the common one that will be necessary if you are selling, or renting a property. This particular EPC uses what’s called rdSAP, which means Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure, which is used where particular thermal values of, for instance, the walls, roof, floors, etc, are not precisely known on an existing property. In this situation assumed thermal values are used based on the age of your property. This particular EPC would be no good to demonstrate compliance with any building regulations. Sometimes building control would simply ask you to get an EPC, however what they would really need are the Sap calculations (which is the information behind the EPC) and the SAP EPC (which is a summary report of the Sap calculations).

If you are still confused, then simply contact us for further advice.

What Are As Built SAP Calculations

These will be the finished set of SAP calculations produced after the dwelling has actually been completed to confirm that it is compliant with Part L1A of the building regulations. Prior to the project starting, it ought to have had a set of “Design Sap” calculations to demonstrate that the proposed building, in theory at least, would be compliant with Part L1A.



Can I Do The Sap Calculation Myself

Unfortunately this is not some thing that you can do by yourself. The calculations have to be carried out by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor or OCDEA, using approved Government software programs. The Assessor needs to be certified under one of the accreditation schemes and is regularly audited to maintain their certification.

What Info is Needed For Sap Calculations

Your Assessor would advise you of exactly what is needed. Typically you would need the following:

  • Floor Plans to include sections and elevations
  • Orientation of the property
  • Construction specification of walls, roof and floors
  • Specification for all doors and windows
  • Primary and secondary heating
  • Provision for providing  hot water
  • Any renewable technology (if any)


Sap Calculations For New Build

Every new dwelling need Sap calculations to prove compliance with Part L1A (Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings) of the building regulations.


Sap Calculations For Extensions

It’s now modern to have large bi-folding doors, sky lights and large quantities of glazing on new extensions. However under the existing building regulations the amount of glazing can be a maximum of 25percent of the floor area of the new extension. So over compensations on the thermal elements in other areas within the property will need to be made to demonstrate that the CO2 emissions from the current house along with the proposed extension is not any worse than the existing house and an extension where the glazing is within the permitted amount judged against Part L1B of the building regulations.

You should have SAP calculations to find solutions and show compliance.


Sap Calculations For Conversions

When you are changing the use of a dwelling, you will require Sap calculations. {The new dwelling will have to comply with Part L1B of the building regulations.}


Do I Need Sap Calculations

You will need Sap calculations for any of the following: 

  • Building a new property
  • Changing the use of an existing property (e.g, a barn conversion, commercial building to residential)
  • Extensions with more than 25% glazing
  • Opening up the main house to an existing conservatory
  • Extension where the extension is more than 50% of the original property wall area
  • Garage conversions
  • If requested by building control

This is not an exhaustive list. Contact us, if you are not sure if you need them.


Our Services

What You Can Expect From Us

Trusted & Experienced

Our Assessors are fully qualified and accredited with several years practical experience carrying Sap calculation in Tamworth . We also cover the whole of the UK and can assist on any job nationwide.

Reliable & Fully Insured

You will be assigned a dedicated Assessor who is also covered by full professional indemnity insurance of up to £100,000 and that means you know you’re in save hands.

Prompt Service

We’ll respond to your enquiry within 24 hours. We’ll also help you to deliver your project within your timescale.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

We seek to provide 100% satisfaction and look forward to working with you.


Get A Quote, Or Call Us For Advice